I have five small children and at times, I have struggled. There have been days where we have more "have nots" than "haves." However, having a large family is a beautiful thing with an investment for years to come. Herein, I will discuss life, things we have learned (or are dealing with) and also suggestions for others. Hopefully I can shed a male perspective on family life as well as other things a dude can encounter as a father.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Addiction: I am a recovering alcoholic. (Part 1)

To this point my posts have been informational. For the most part I hope that I can share the things that I have learned, enjoyed, or some other type of "how to" that will open an idea chest for you. Yet, there will come a post when I am frustrated, overwhelmed or just tired - parenting is the most demanding job that I have known.

Somewhere along the way I found a new friend. One beer led to another and after some time I needed the contents every single day. At the peak I was drinking six to eight 16oz. beers a night. I would stumble off to sleep and not wake until my alarm the next morning. Hardly a night went by that I did not have to run to the store or that I did not feed the hunger inside. I was escaping the world for a few hours of the day which in the end cost me months of life with my family. Each drink became more normal. I lost touch with reality.

It will torture you and molest your soul. There is nothing wrong with a casual drink - even the Bible references the use or misuse of wine. Do not let yourself get to that point; the point when you forget what matters. Can you put down the drink for the evening? Do you feel hot all of a sudden and your pulse race at the thought of not drinking tonight? Would you rather spend time at the bar than your home? Do you need a friend to talk to? Or just someone to chat about this problem you are having? Alcohol is not the friend you need. There are many people in this world that care about you beyond the shortfalls of an evening inebriated.  Your family needs you. Now put on your big boy pants and sober up.

I have been sober for several months, now. At that time this would have been an impossible feat. I thank God for his continual grace and lighted way. My wife is a blessing. A song of encouragement is below.






No comments:

Post a Comment